Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Keep On Reading


So I’ve been looking forward to writing again since the moment I posted the first blog. But I had quite a couple deterrents, mainly just homework. And it’s not like the homework was hard at all, just a lot of reading. It was ALL reading. But I pressed on and finished it. Well most 95% of it anyways. In fact, to my surprise, I read ahead.

I've never really been so inclined as to pick up a book and read it. The only time I remember wanting to read was in elementary school, but only because you got points and prizes for reading. Otherwise, I’ve never been enticed to read.

I like the idea of reading. I would love for whenever I have children that they would enjoy reading and be proficient at it. I like the idea of acquiring knowledge, becoming well-read, and as my mom would say being “culto” or cultured. I would love to actually read the classics and quote famous lines. But, my mind doesn’t roll that way.

Thus, this year I came to a resolution. I know you may think it’s a tad late for New Year’s resolutions or for that matter you may have possibly already given up on yours, but for those reasons I very methodically came up with just one. This year, I decided I am going to read.

Every time I think of explaining my resolution I think people will think I’m just being silly or how my brother would joke that my hatred for reading basically makes me illiterate. But neither is true. The reasons I came about this resolution are very simple yet, to me, profound.

1) Educationally- I will actually be doing my homework, entirely. It’s easy to go through school not reading the material and still get good grades. Heck. I think I probably only read one book cover to cover my entire high school career and still managed to be top of my class. But to me, this is a commitment I am making as a student. My job right now is to be the best student I can be, all for the glory and honor to God. As a student my job is to respect and honor my professors. What do I get out of paying for a class that I am not going to do my best in? Shoot. I like what one of my professors makes you do for book reports. He makes you write a statement that says you’ve read 100% of the book before you proceed to writing the report. It’s about your honor, and I absolutely hate lying, even in simple things like that, so that’s one motivation to read.

2) This next one kind of goes with the idea of education but it’s slightly different. If I finish reading, or for that matter start reading, I will actually be doing something I promote. I always admire those who like to read and have an expansive vocabulary and I also tell others, particularly younger kids, that they should read too. But I, myself, have being hypocritical in that aspect justifying myself by saying that it’s a habit you form as a child and it’s too late for me. I want to read not only for my educational purposes but for my personal enjoyment. To me, reading and enjoyment have never fit in the same sentence but I’ve realized that the reason my knowledge is so superficial of so many things is because I don’t want to dig in and read some more. But as of this year that’s changing.

3) It will help me finish what I start. I have a terrible problem. I am scatterbrained. I can’t really concentrate. I am quite surprised I haven’t deviated from my topic yet. My mom always gets at me because I start a million things and leave them all undone. If I finish reading at least a book, I will feel accomplished and hopefully this attitude will extend unto other aspects of my life, such as cleaning…maybe.

4) Lastly, probably most importantly, I will actually read my Bible. Important fact to know: I am PK (pastor’s kid). I know a heck of a lot scriptural references and stories but I don’t know the Bible itself. I recently attended an apologetics conference and have been further inspired to pursue reading, and mainly truly understand what my faith is about. As I said earlier, I’m not asking you to take on my beliefs but this I will tell you: I invite you to question anything I say in these posts. The whole point of this is for me to see what people think about what I think. And if and when you do question me, I will be prepared to have an answer to for the hope that which I have (1 Peter 3:15). 

Well that hopefully that wasn't too much of a convoluted idea. I have so much more I want to say about reading and such but I'll save that for later so maybe you'll keep on reading ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment