Saturday, March 3, 2012

Love IS

I've been thinking...Maybe I love too easily. Not romantic love, necessarily. I can't say I know too much on that topic. But maybe I'm just in love with the idea of love. Hopefully you're not thinking this is going to be some mushy gushy lovey dovey what not, because it won't be, hopefully. 


So check this out. Out of the few things I remember from geometry, the transitive property of equality is one of them. You are given If "A", then "B" and If "B", then "C". Then by this property, if you have both of those given then: If "A", then  "C" is true . And you can rearrange this logic a bit so let's apply this. So: if God is love, and God is in everything, then love is in everything. Let me make sure I get this point across. LOVE is in everything.


I don't think I can really get this point across how I'm understanding it. Love, that thing which we all crave for and can't fully describe, comprehend, or express. Is. In everything, absolutely anything and everything you can think of. Now, I know grammatically that was absolutely incorrect but how amazing is that? I mean, seriously. How awesome is that?! It is truly awe inspiring. This realization has just rocked my worldview. I can't help but seeing everything through the lenses of love now. Love love love love love! Love! If you could only just see me right now, I talk with my hands, and they're just everywhere!! 


Love is a driving force. Whether you believe in God, gods, Buddha, the Force, or whatever, just substitute or delete the words if you can't accept it, but love, Love is. You just can't refute it. You may not understand it. You may not feel it. You may not want it. You may deny it. But love, Love is. You've probably heard this. It's become cliche the phrase that "love is not a word is an action," but just what type of action is it? 


I've heard it put this way (and it's probably my favorite rendition): love is a divine way of interacting with others. In this definition, there are several different aspects that make up this concept called "love". It's divine, therefore not human, unless of course you consider humans to be divine, but even then, there is a distinction between the mundane and naturalistic and that which is outside the natural realm. Secondly, it's a interaction, thus it cannot be static, it needs to have a giver and receiver. It is dynamic. And lastly, it is an specific type of interaction, not just the fact that it interacts. Also it is not reactive or counteractive, is it the propagator. So love in this sense, always is. 


I'm struggling to find words to accurately describe what I mean. Let me try and rephrase things. You are always either acting in love or you're not. There is no gray areas. So why not always act in love? Isn't that what we're called to do? Without bringing religion into this, doesn't Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs imply this? If our ultimate need to to be loved and accepted should we not also be the perpetrators of this? Shouldn't we not only not treat others in ways that we would not like to be treated but actually be proactive and treat others in ways we'd like to be treated? Shouldn't we want to love others and be loved by others? Shouldn't we want to understand others and then have others understand us? Shouldn't we love love?


I love you not by telling you so, not by thinking nice things of you, not by just being nice. I love you being getting to know what you understand to be love and showing you that love. I show you love by giving up of myself for you. I show you love by thinking of your well being more than my own. Love is shown by giving your life up for those you love. You can love anyone without knowing them intimately. You can love your boss by doing everything in a cheerful spirit, mainly if it is unpleasant things. You can love your friends by reminding them of their worth. You can love a stranger by acting in kindness. I can love you by sharing my heart with you yet Love is not something you just do, love is something you live. Love is life. Love gave up it's life for you. So live in Love. Live full of love. Live with love. Live your life in love :)

1 comment: